What We Know About the Double Murder of a Mother and Daughter in Nassau Village
Click to Listen Now
Thirty-year-old Alicia Sawyer and 8-year-old Ednique Wallace were killed in Nassau Village on Monday morning by gunshots fired by Sawyer’s boyfriend, Travon Stevens.
After the murder, the Criminal Investigation Unit quickly issued a wanted person bulletin for Travon Stevens, believed to have a rap sheet of convictions.
The case has brought national attention to murder against women and children, following recent crimes against these vulnerable groups.
Here’s what we know:
What happened before Alicia Sawyer was killed
- One day before her murder, Alicia Sawyer told police that Travon Stevens, her boyfriend, choked and kicked her while at his house.
- Stevens raped her.
- Stevens sent the nude pictures to her contacts.
- Stevens bribed Sawyer not to report him to the police
What happened Monday morning
- A young girl called police, saying her mother was dead at their residence.
- Police discovered the bodies of Sawyer and her daughter Ednique on Stack Avenue, Nassau Village at 8 am on Monday.
- Stevens ran away from the scene and was on the run from police before his capture on Monday night.
- Initial police investigation ruled the incident domestic in nature.
What happened Monday evening
- Police arrested Stevens’ father.
- Police gained insight into Stevens’ whereabouts and surveyed his movement.
- Reports say Stevens was seen near his residence in Garden Hills, before turning himself into police.
- Stevens surrendered to the police after 9 pm on Monday evening.