Woman Serves Time After Posing as a Lawyer
A 25-year-old woman faced the court today and pleaded guilty to posing as a lawyer to smuggle drugs into the Bahamas Department of Corrections.
Warnika Russell of Zion Boulevard appeared before Deputy Chief Magistrate Andrew Forbes charged with two counts of evading the requirements of the law by having and uttering a forged document and two counts of possession of Indian Hemp with the intention to supply.
Russell was sentenced to 1 year and three months in prison.
- Russell presented the Bar Association identification to guards, in the name of a professional lawyer, on Friday.
- Russell was visiting her boyfriend, Stephen Greene who is serving a 15-year sentence for armed robbery.
- Guards became suspicious and called the police when they realized the illegitimacy of the identification.
- It was discovered Russell had visited the prison eleven other times using the ID of a lawyer to gain access to the prison and deliver contraband items like drugs and cellphones.
- Police found 2.6 pounds of drugs on Russell attached to her abdomen.
- Russell said she was promised three-thousand dollars to deliver the drugs to Greene.
Featured Image: EWN