The Big Story
Andros Sees 51 Illegal Migrants After Christmas
Click to Listen Now
Fifty-one Haitian nationals were found on Andros on Monday.
- 44 Haitian men and 7 Haitian women were arrested and detained by officers of the Royal Bahamas Police Force (RBPF) and Bahamas Immigration Department.
- Their vessel ran aground at Mars Bay, Andros.
- Immigration officials have been dispatched to Andros for investigation and further processing of the migrants who are presently being held at the Government Complex, The Bluff.
- All migrants have received medical attention from the local Ministry of Health personnel, and are reported to be doing well.
- The public is reminded that The Department of Immigration is committed to carrying out the mandates of our agency to combat illegal migration by establishing effective border control management to ensure compliance with the Statute Laws of our country.
This comes after 36 adult Haitian men and nine women were found in Long Island on Saturday after their vessel ran aground. They were captured and were to appear before a Magistrate in Long Island on Tuesday.