Amid Aragonite Protest, Sovereign Wealth Committee Promises to Investigate
Click to Listen Now
Golden Gates MP Michael Foulkes presented an interim report on the country’s natural resources to the House of Assembly today. He said the Natural Resources and Sovereign Wealth Committee is working on behalf of the Bahamian people to ensure they have access to the country’s natural resources.
The Committe of which he is a part of include:
- Chairman and Fox Hill MP Shonel Ferguson
- Barnabas MP Shanondon Cartwright
- Centerville MP Reece Chipman
- Golden Isles MP Vaughn Miller
- South and Central Andros MP Picewell Forbes
- Marathon MP and Environment Minister Romauld Ferriera
Why it matters
Public protests have continued with scores of Bahamians calling for access to a natural resource, aragonite, which is reported to be mined by foreigners.
What’s in the interim report?
According to Michael Foulkes, in this presentation:
- Committee members will visit sites on specific islands and cays to report on the island’s resources. The trip is scheduled for January 14th, 21st and 28th.
- Each member was assigned a natural resource to research and will examine the governmental document in relation to the natural resource.
- Public hearings on the findings will be presented to the media and general public.
- The committee will find, review, access and report their findings to the Parliament.
- Present recommendations to the government.