Mother welcomes appeal in son’s case but says pain remains: ‘I wouldn’t call myself happy’

The mother of eight-year-old Eugene Woodside Jr. says the decision by the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to appeal the acquittal of two men once accused of her son’s killing is “a step in the right direction,” but far from closure.

Kendra Woodside told the Tribune she is relieved the matter is not over, even as she continues to grapple with the shock of being entirely excluded from the trial that collapsed last week.

READ MORE: The tragedy of Eugene Woodside Jr–From tragedy to acquittal

“I will allow them to do what they have to do,” she said. “But I wouldn’t call myself happy.”

Director of Public Prosecutions Cordell Fraizer confirmed that her office filed an amended appeal on Friday.

The trial judge refused to hear an application for an anonymous witness. The two men— Lloyd Minnis and Perry Pickering were acquitted last Friday since no witnesses were present to testify, though the prosecution said they requested to present an anonymous witness.

The new filing now also appeals the judge’s directed acquittal of the accused men.

The matter is scheduled to be heard in the Court of Appeal on Wednesday, December 17.

Eugene Jr., was doing homework in their Chippingham home in September 2017 when a stray bullet tore through the wall and struck him in the chest. Pregnant at the time, she held him as he died.

For Woodside, the appeal offers a sliver of hope

Show More

Leave a Reply

Discover more from CSJ Report-Understand Bahamian News

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading