uscoastguards

uscoastguards

Coast Guard searching for ‘drunk’ man, 20, who jumped overboard near Inagua

US Coast Guard is still searching for a 20-year man, who reportedly jumped overboard a cruise ship on Thursday, 57 miles from Inagua, Bahamas.

The 20-year-old was with family aboard the 18-story Royal Caribbean’s Liberty cruise when he jumped the ship, shortly after 4 a.m. turning passengers’ vacation into a nightmare.

“It was insane,” said passenger Bryan Sims. “It was just surreal.”

The man who remains unidentified, reportedly got into an argument with his father over being intoxicated and in what appeared to be an impulsive, spur-of-the-moment decision, he jumped into the ocean after yelling, “I’ll fix this right now,” as his father and brother looked on helplessly.

Witnesses said the man's father and brother watched as he went overboard (stock image)

“I had hung out with him and his brother in the hot tub until 3:30,” Sims told The Post. ” It was standing room only. He sat right beside me the whole time.”

“He was pretty drunk.

“As we were walking from the hot tub back to the elevators, his dad and brother were walking towards us.

“His dad was fussing at him for being drunk, I guess.”

“He jumped out the window in front of us all.”

It caused panic aboard the ship and the crew joined US Coast Guard in searching for the man.

“There was a lot of yelling, and the crew was alerted immediately,” another passenger,  Deborah Morrison, told The Post.

“His family was horrified, just beside themselves. I can’t even begin to imagine what they’re going through.”

The man has not yet been found but the Coast Guard said it will continue its search and rescue operation between Inagua and Cuba.

‘We need to keep looking’: Daughter’s search for missing US pilot proves fruitless

The daughter of an American pilot is not giving up hope after her father disappeared while flying to North Eleuthera, Bahamas from Florida nearly two weeks ago.

Though the Royal Bahamas Defense Force and US Coast Guards have called off the search, Nabilha Khan has launched a GoFundMe, attempting to raise $100,000 to continue a private search for Pervez Khan, a South Florida resident who took off from Fort Lauderdale Hollywood International Airport on August 19, but has not been seen since.

US Coast Guards and the Royal Bahamas Defense Force searched 20 hours of 5,032 square miles to no avail, so the family is seeking to raise funds to find the missing pilot themselves.

As of Wednesday, the GoFundMe stood at $13,000.

“We are out again today searching by plane, boat, and on foot,” Khan said on Tuesday.

The area being searched by family and friends.

Khan believes her father’s aircraft Cessna 402 either crashed or may have ditched the plane.

“I’m not sure which.

“It is crucial that we keep searching,” Khan told Local 10 News.

“We need to keep looking in new areas.”

“My father has flown this flight thousands of times. He’s been flying to the Bahamas for decades.”

Khan was the only person aboard the plane and was last seen 17 miles west off the coast of Eleuthera.

Family said they were finally able to search a previously unsearched area with a helicopter hired from Boca Raton because there were no available helicopters in the country.

The family is asking everyone to be on the lookout for the any sightings or clues of the plane, as they continue their search for Khan.

Man Jumps From Cruise Ship After 4-Day Trip to the Bahamas

US Coast Guards are using all resources to find a man who reportedly jumped overboard from a Carnival cruise line on his way back from a four-day sail-away in the Bahamas, late Sunday afternoon.

A friend of Jaylen Hill, 30, reported not seeing him and conveyed the suspicions to the ship’s crew. It was after authorities reviewed surveillance cameras, they confirmed the man jumped overboard while the Carnival Elation was about 95 miles east of Melbourne, Florida, and heading back to Jacksonville.

The Coast Guard was alerted at 6:30 p.m. Sunday night and the search was initiated soon after, Petty Officer 3rd Class Eric Rodriguez told Insider.

Matt Lupoli, a Carnival spokesperson, said, “Shoreside authorities were notified, and the crew was advised to continue to Jacksonville. The Carnival Care Team is providing support to the guest’s family and our thoughts are with them and the guest.”

Rescuers are using an 87-foot Cutter Tarpon from St. Petersburg, a Hercules aircraft from Clearwater, and an Ocean Sentry aircraft from Miami, to search for Hill.

‘Catastrophic Implosion’ Killed All Five People Onboard the Titan

All five people onboard the submersible are believed to be dead after rescuers found debris “consistent with the catastrophic loss of the pressure chamber,” Rear Adm. John Mauger, the First Coast Guard District commander, said during a press briefing on Thursday, nearly five days after a desperate search for the vessel and crew.

What was found

  • The Coast Guard said that a debris field was discovered near the wreck of the Titanic earlier on Thursday morning.
  • The debris was located by a remote-controlled underwater search vehicle (ROV) about 1,600 feet (480m) from the wreckage of the Titanic.
  • Five separate pieces were discovered that allowed authorities to confirm they came from the Titan, including a tail cone.
  • Rear Adm Mauger gave his condolences and said he did not have an answer on whether or not the bodies of the five men on-board could be recovered.
What it means?

The search for the crew and hopes that they would’ve been alive while bolted in the submersible, are dashed. It is believed the crew died aboard the 21-foot minivan-sized vessel operated by OceanGate Expeditions on Sunday operated by OceanGate Expeditions.

Attempts are now to recover the debris as researchers investigate why the vessel loss communications and imploded.

The big story

The submersible was never tested and approved for safety but it attempted to reach the Titanic wreckage on Sunday morning, losing contact about an hour and 45 minutes after submerging, believed to have only a 96-hour oxygen supply. That amount of oxygen was predicted to run out on Thursday morning.

US Coast Guards Are Searching for 39 People Who Left Bimini Then Capsized

Thirty-nine people left Bimini aboard a boat on Friday night but never made it to their destination.

US Coast Guards believe it was a smuggling ring. 

The lone survivor who was found atop the capsized vessel said the group encountered srong winds as they traversed the seas which caused the boat to capsize.

The lone survivor was rescued by a passerby and the matter was reported to officials around 8:45 pm on Tuesday.

The search has been ongoing since the unfortunate incident.

Officials say they are searching between Bimini and Fort Pierce for the missing boaters.

Photo credit: CNN (Tina Burnside)

Coast Guard Still Looking for Missing Boaters. Two Bahamians Among Those Feared Dead

Two Bahamian men are presumed dead after a boat they were in capsized off the coast of Florida following their departure from Bimini on Wednesday.

The lone survivor, Orville Lyons, a Jamaican national was found on Friday and told what happened, as Coast Guard officials search for the other six boaters.

What happened?

 

Orville Lyons straddles his capsized boat in the Atlantic Ocean, where he was stranded for two days before a boat crew from Southern Eagle Charter Fishing of Fort Pierce found him and rescued him. CONTRIBUTED PHOTO BY CHASE CORNELL
  • The two Bahamians, three Guyanese and two Jamaicans left Bimini on Wednesday after dark and the boat soon capsized at 8 pm, about 20 miles offshore of Fort Pierce Inlet.
  • The Bahamian captain finished a bottle of liquor, became intoxicated and fell overboard.
  • Soon, the 20-foot boat capsized in the rough, dark waters of the Gulf Stream, the 20-foot boat capsized.
  • The six men found four life jackets. Only three of the guys could swim, so they gave the life jackets to the three who were not able to swim.
  • After exhaustion set in, the swimmers were the first to drown, and by Thursday at dark, only the two Jamaican men remained alive. By dawn on Friday, only Lyons remained alive.
  • A crew aboard a charter fishing boat found him early Friday morning, as Lyons waved for their attention. Lyons body was stiff after almost 36 hours on the seas alone.
  • The crew sprang into action saving Lyons and soon called the Coast Guard who sent a 45-foot rescue boat.
  • Lyons was transferred to a hospital.
  • The Coast Guard continued to search the area on Sunday, deploying an HC-130 Hercules airplane and three cutter ships.

Featured Image: Chase Cornell/ TCPalm

Orville Lyons, holding the red cup, is comforted by boaters who rescued him from his capsized boat. Pictured, from left, are Jack Hendrix, Rob Lynch, Lyons, Peter Busch and Ashley Albers.