Who is the Bahamian jailed in Venezuela amid heightened political uncertainty after the arrest of President Maduro?

As the international community reacts to the arrest of Venezuelan President Nicolás Maduro and growing political uncertainty in the South American nation, the Government of the Bahamas has confirmed that a Bahamian national remains detained in Venezuela.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs has issued a travel warning advising Bahamians not to travel to Venezuela, citing safety and security concerns. The Ministry also confirmed that the government has raised diplomatic concerns regarding the detained Bahamian, describing the detention as “unlawful” and expressing concern for his welfare.

The individual has been identified by The Tribune as pilot Oran Munroe.

Who Is Oran Munroe?

Oran Munroe was 34 years old in 2021 when his family reported him missing in July of that year. A missing person bulletin was subsequently issued by the Royal Bahamas Police Force.

According to Venezuelan media outlet Últimas Noticias, a twin-engine Cessna aircraft crashed in Venezuela in August 2021. Reports at the time stated that the aircraft contained Munroe, a 27-year-old Colombian national, documents including a Bahamian passport, passport photos of unidentified individuals, maps, an aircraft manual, and a mobile phone.

 

Bahamian officials indicated in 2021 that Munroe had not been formally charged at that time, but would be subject to the laws of Venezuela.

The Tribune previously reported that the Royal Bahamas Police Force confirmed Munroe was in Venezuelan police custody in 2021, where he was being questioned in connection with alleged drug trafficking. No public update on charges has been issued since.

Munroe was a former employee of Sky Bahamas and was last seen on July 24, 2021.

Chief Superintendent Roberto Goodman, then officer in charge of the Drug Enforcement Unit, confirmed at the time that Munroe’s flight originated in Abaco before the aircraft crashed in Venezuela.

Sky Bahamas owner Captain Randy Butler told The Tribune that he reported the private aircraft missing.

Diplomatic efforts underway

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs says diplomatic channels have been engaged to address the matter and to seek assurances regarding Munroe’s safety and security.

Officials have not disclosed details surrounding the circumstances of his continued detention.

Show More

Leave a Reply

Discover more from CSJ Report-Understand Bahamian News

Subscribe now to keep reading and get access to the full archive.

Continue reading