The Big Story
Why COVID-19 Is Still Rising in New Providence
Click to Listen Now
Health Minister Renward Wells said COVID-19 in New Providence continues to escalate.
Over the last four days–September 28th to October 1st, health officials have seen a surge in the capital.
Why does it matter?
This escalation in numbers comes at a time when:
- the country is reopening its fragile economy
- several schools are opening with face to face learning.
- The relaxation of restrictions, some people have decided to go back to business as usual, including their social lives.
- Some people attend planned social events like showers, dinner, and birthday parties where they can contract or spread COVID-19.
- People go home to their families where the virus is spread. These individuals also spread COVID-19 to their co-workers.
- A consistent trend of workplace exposures.
Minister Wells stressed that the workplace is now a ‘hot spot’.
How do we curb the increase in New Providence?
- Avoid going out of our homes for non-essential reasons. Avoid social gatherings and practice preventative measures at home, church, work, and everywhere else you go!
- Employers must ensure that health and safety measures are in place at the workplace and that staff is trained to execute COVID-19 preventive protocols.
- Employers must implement effective social distancing and work-from-home policies.
- Conduct yourselves as though everywhere is a ‘hot spot.’
Featured image: peterloud.co.uk