Update: Philip Davis in Hospital After Testing Positive for COVID-19; Darville Confirms Positive Test Too

Click to Listen Now

Leader of the Opposition Philip Davis tested positive for the virus after he and Opposition Senator Michael Darville presented themselves at the hospital to be “examined out of an abundance of caution.”

On Saturday, in  a tweet, revealed that they were being examined by doctors, but he never said why he and Darville were being examined, leaving the public to speculate that it was COVID-19.

Well, on Sunday, he confirmed the positive results in a voice note, saying he learnt of his result on Sunday  morning. However, no comment was made on the condition of Darville.  Davis remains hospitalized.


The PLP’s response after Davis’ infection

PLP National Chairman Fred Mitchell called for the government to sanitize the Office of the Opposition.

He added that his party will follow all protocols required by health officials.

“All necessary and recommended protocols will be followed and all party officials will cooperate with the public health officials.”

Mitchell said staff at the PLP headquarters will work remotely from home while the party sanitizes its headquarters.

A lot is unknown

It is not known the severity of Davis’ symptoms and when he contracted the virus.

Davis has been seen wearing a mask in the House of Assembly regularly and at his party’s press conferences, held every month.

It remains to be seen how many opposition party members and staff members were exposed to the virus, as they may have made contact with Davis.

Opposition party members sent prayers

PLP members expressed concern for their leader on social media, wishing him well.


Darville gives an update on his condition

On Monday, Darville released a statement confirming that he too was tested positive for the virus.

“Today I wish to advise the public that I have tested positive for COVID-19. I would like to express my gratitude to the nurses and doctors at Doctor’s Hospital whose care I am currently in.

Darville said he will “get some much needed rest.”

Five days ago, Prime Minister Hubert Minnis and Deputy Prime Minister Peter Turnquest self isolated after a COVID-19 case of exposure in the Cecil Wallace-Whitfield Building which houses both the Office of the Prime Minister, and the Ministry of Finance.

On Sunday, the Ministry of Health revealed the COVID-19 death of a 37-year old man of New Providence. Officials also confirmed 63 new COVID-19 cases, with 45 in New Providence, 5 in Grand Bahama and 17 confirmed cases, pending.

The numbers continually rise as the country remains under a two week lockdown, which is expected to end on Wednesday 19th.

Prime Minister Hubert Minnis will address the nation at 8pm on Monday.

Show More

1 Comment

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: