eugenewoodside

eugenewoodside

Mother welcomes appeal in son’s case but says pain remains: ‘I wouldn’t call myself happy’

The mother of eight-year-old Eugene Woodside Jr. says the decision by the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions (DPP) to appeal the acquittal of two men once accused of her son’s killing is “a step in the right direction,” but far from closure.

Kendra Woodside told the Tribune she is relieved the matter is not over, even as she continues to grapple with the shock of being entirely excluded from the trial that collapsed last week.

READ MORE: The tragedy of Eugene Woodside Jr–From tragedy to acquittal

“I will allow them to do what they have to do,” she said. “But I wouldn’t call myself happy.”

Director of Public Prosecutions Cordell Fraizer confirmed that her office filed an amended appeal on Friday.

The trial judge refused to hear an application for an anonymous witness. The two men— Lloyd Minnis and Perry Pickering were acquitted last Friday since no witnesses were present to testify, though the prosecution said they requested to present an anonymous witness.

The new filing now also appeals the judge’s directed acquittal of the accused men.

The matter is scheduled to be heard in the Court of Appeal on Wednesday, December 17.

Eugene Jr., was doing homework in their Chippingham home in September 2017 when a stray bullet tore through the wall and struck him in the chest. Pregnant at the time, she held him as he died.

For Woodside, the appeal offers a sliver of hope

The case of Eugene Woodside Jr: From tragedy to acquittal

On September 17, 2017, the life of eight-year-old Eugene Woodside Jr. abruptly ended, sending shockwaves across the Bahamas.

Two men were later charged in connection with his killing. What many believed would be a straightforward pursuit of justice instead turned into a long and painful wait.

Both men were acquitted on Thursday.

The timeline of a broken system

2017 — The death and charges

Eugene Woodside Jr., just eight years old, was killed in September 17, 2017. Public outrage quickly followed. A criminal investigation was launched and two men were eventually charged in relation to his death, and another man killed simultaneously.

His mother Kendera Woodside was promised justice would be served.

2017–2024 — Years of delay

The case lingered through the court system. The case sat within a justice system burdened by adjournments, procedural complications, and persistent backlogs. Like many serious criminal matters in the Bahamas, the case remained in limbo for years.

As time passed, memories faded. But for Eugene’s family, especially his mother, Kendera, the pain never ended.

2025 — The trial and acquittal

This week, the men accused in Eugene’s death were acquitted because the prosecution was unable to call any witnesses. And with no case before the court, there could be no conviction.

According to the Office of the Director of Public Prosecutions, the Crown had sought to rely on an anonymous witness, but the Supreme Court refused to allow it.

With no admissible witnesses available, the court acquitted the two men accused.

Eight years after the eight-year-old boy lost his life, the case came to a close without justice.

What this case reveals

The acquittal is an indictment of a system that appears it cannot sustain the pursuit of justice long enough to bring a child’s death to a close.

  • Why did it take eight years for this matter to reach trial?
  • Why were crucial witnesses unavailable?
  • What safeguards or support systems exist to protect witnesses in serious criminal cases?
  • How many other matters are quietly heading toward similar collapse?

In this instance, justice delayed is justice denied. Eugene’s case is a symbol of systemic failure.