Union Leader: We Are Not Greedy
Click to Listen Now
Bahamas Utilities Service and Allied Workers Union (BUSAWU) President Dwayne Woods pushed back, saying line staff of the Water and Sewerage Corporation “are not greedy” for demanding Christmas bonus payout this month.
Why it matters
- Based on the workers’ industrial agreement, they were to be paid Christmas bonuses but Water and Sewage Corporation General Manager Elwood Donaldson said the bonuses would be deferred because of the negative effects of COVID-19 on the country.
What Union Leader Woods says
- Workers are asking for what is written in the agreement. “Please oblige and pay the Christmas bonus as contractually agreed to.”
- The decision to defer the payout should have been discussed with the union.
- He is asking for executives to meet the union to work on a solution.
- He said executives have not mentioned when the money will be paid to workers.
- “We tried our best to negotiate when payment could be made and the corporation failed to negotiate in that vein. And we view that as total disregard and disrespect for union and its membership.”
What WSC General Manager says
Featured Image: The Nassau Guardian