Dahl-Regis: No COVID-19 Deaths for Three Weeks
Click to Listen Now
The Task Force Coordinator says the country is making progress as hospitalization cases reduce
“We are making significant progress based on the number of new confirmed cases; there have been no COVID-19 related deaths for three weeks, the number of recovered cases, the decrease in COVID-19 hospital admissions and the decrease in the number of ICU admissions.”
Speaking at the Ministry of Health press conference on Thursday, Dr. Dahl-Regis said during the epidemiological period – week 20 to 21 – there were one to two confirmed cases per day, compared to the 5 to 6 confirmed cases recorded previously, which has resulted in the bending of the curve.
Dr. Dahl-Regis said the national profile is different than the global presentation, which shows that the greatest number of COVID-19 cases is in the elderly.
The COVID-19 cases are at 97, as there were no new cases reported on Thursday.
Of that number, 75 are in New Providence, 8 in Grand Bahama, 13 in Bimini, and 1 in Cat Cay.
The number of recovered cases is 44. Active cases are at 42.
Deaths remain at 11 and hospitalised cases are at 6.
A total of 1,910 tests have been completed.
According to Merceline Dahl-Regis, in Grand Bahama, there have been 15 days since the last confirmed case of COVID-19 was recorded on that island.
In Bimini, it has been 7 days since the last confirmed case.
In the Bahamas, the highest number of cases is occurring in the 40-59 age group, and not in the 80 and over population.
She commends nursing home operators who are enforcing the COVID-19 containment and mitigation policies set out by the Ministry of Health, including visitor restrictions; infection prevention and control measures; training of their workers in infection control; environmental sanitation; a moratorium on readmissions; and government measures to protect the elderly population, including weekend lockdowns.